Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Putting Things in Perspective


I got a chance today to hear a first-hand recount from someone who was on the bridge when it fell. For 8 years at Wells Fargo I worked with a very humble and kind man named Peter Siddons. As he lives in White Bear Lake, 35W is his normal route home. As he tells it, he was on the very last section of the bridge to fall, he could see it coming, and he knew there was nowhere to go. When his section fell, it dropped about 20 feet. Even though a car landed on his, he was able to get the door open, climb up a steep section of fallen bridge, and made it to solid ground. In his typical fashion, he immediately was drawn to the school bus and was quickly trying to reassure the terrified children that they were okay.

In the picture below, his car is the one under the car marked 18A (top middle). He was quoted in the Star Tribune as follows:

"I saw this rolling of the bridge," he said. "It kept collapsing, down, down, down until it got to me...I thought I was dead. Honestly, I honestly did. I thought it was over."

Suddenly my extra 10 minutes of commute each day seems like small peanuts.


On a lighter note, we're looking forward to the 4th Annual Tom Boxell Memorial Golf Tournament this weekend that I host so it will be good to see a lot of friends and family.


I hope you all are well,


Chad


p.s. Mark Klukow....save yourself! Mike and I have fallen victim to "The Blog"!

1 comments:

Danielle said...

Wow, I'm glad your friend is alright, it's amazing he survived.